Remploy, the UK’s largest employer of disabled people, gave Merton a Commendation as part of the annual Remploy Leading the Way Awards. The award is the UK’s most prestigious accolade for those organisations employing people with disabilities.
The Remploy Leading the Way Awards recognise employers who:
· Lead the way by enabling people with disabilities to realise their potential through work
· Demonstrate and implement policies that enable disabled people to fully participate in, and benefit from, work and the work place.
· Set an example of disability awareness and good practice to other employers
The Awards are the UK’s most prestigious accolade for those organisations employing people with disabilities. They bring the winners:
· Proper recognition of their equal opportunities policy
· A positive image of their organisation
· An incentive for the best people to apply for jobs
· Recognition that they are meeting government targets, legal requirements and social obligations
Roger Paine, Merton’s Chief Executive, said: “Part of the council’s vision, to make Merton a great place to live work and learn, is equality. This award is recognition of Merton as an equal opportunity employer and of the value a diverse workforce brings to delivering services.