On Wednesday 21 May, Merton’s Ethnic Minority Centre (EMC) in association with Merton Council held an evening of live music featuring songs and dances from around the world.
Over 350 attending the evening, including Wimbledon MP Roger Casale, at the Odeon cinema in Wimbledon, it was the first live show to be held at the new cinema and was a great success.
This colourful display was part of the EMC’s ‘Racial Harmony’ Project to bring people and communities together to celebrate and understand different cultures. The EMC’s objective is to continue promoting cultural diversity and Racial Harmony in the London Borough of Merton.
The appreciation and encouraging support shown by the large audience made this Spring Multi-Cultural Show a successful project.
Those groups taking part were:
· Ming Tak Chinese School dancers
· The Mary Keane School of Irish Dancing
· Bollywood Dance by pupils from Honey’s Dance School
· Jazz Saxophone by Johnny Hope
· African Live Band and Dance by Merton African Organisation
· Goan Musical Society
· Bharatnatyam classical Dance (Sri Lanka)
· Chinese Magic Show and contortionist
· Flamenco Dancers
· Asian Music and Arts Academy (Indian classical, semi classical,
Ghazals and Bengali songs).
PRESS CONTACT – Kirstin Rowan – 020 8545 3483