In light of the adverse weather conditions, and with more bad weather forecasted, Merton Council is issuing personal safety advice to help people stay safe.
The people most likely to fall victim of severe weather conditions are motorists, so we would like to advise people of the simple measures to take if they do go out in their car.
· Ensure lights are clean and working
· Check screen washers and wipers
· Make sure you have antifreeze in your radiator
· Keep windows clean inside and out
· De-ice and clean mirrors
· Inflate tyres to the correct pressure and ensure they have plenty of tread
· Check the weather forecast before you go and ask yourself if your journey is really necessary
· Allow extra time for your journey and reduce your speed
· Remember – extra caution is needed when driving in bad weather.
For more general information on keeping warm and well in cold weather, you can call the Winter Warmth advice line on 0800 085 7000 from 8am to 8pm between Monday to Friday.
Alternatively you can access the Keep Warm Keep Well winter guide booklet by searching under the booklet title on the Department of Health website http://www.doh.gov.uk