On the advice of London Fire Brigade, no BBQs are to take place in Merton parks and open spaces until further notice.
Due to the very hot weather, grass in our parks and green spaces is very dry and across London, firefighters have already attended six times as many large grass fires than the total number attended in 2017. Barbeques are one of the core causes of grass fires along with smouldering cigarettes and glass bottles.
Fires can spread in short grass as well as long grass, and sparks from barbecues can set dry trees or bushes on fire.
The Fire Brigade’s tips on preventing grass fires:
- Do not use barbecues in parks, grass verges and other public spaces.
- Never barbecue on a balcony.
- Clear away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to avoid them magnifying the sun and starting a fire.
- Dispose of smoking materials such as cigarettes safely.
- Explain to children the dangers of playing with and lighting fires.