Fast growing supermarket chain Morrisons is to open a new store in Mitcham. This follows its successful bid to become the tenant of the property currently occupied by Somerfield.
Morrisons moving to Mitcham will mean that the current Somerfield employees will all be able to maintain their jobs, becoming Morrisons employees.
Deputy Leader of Merton Council Councillor Samantha George said: “We whole heartedly welcome Morrisons to Mitcham. The town has a great deal to offer along with growing potential as somewhere to do business. It’s wonderful to see another major company and employer investing in Mitcham and adding to the economy in the area.”
Notes to editors
1. Asda owns the site in St Marks Road, Mitcham. This is currently occupied by Somerfield supermarket. Asda has expressed its continued commitment to Mitcham and the regeneration of the town centre.
2. The Co-operative Group recently bought Somerfield for £1.57 billion. As a condition of the buy-out the Co-operative Group has had to sell more than 130 of its supermarket stores to comply with competition law.
3. Morrisons has agreed to buy 38 stores from the Co-operative Group.
4. Morrisons is Britain’s fourth largest supermarket group with 117,000 employees.
5. Latest Morrisons interim results for the 26 weeks ended 3 August 2008 (latest) show a total £7.1bn turnover.