A record number of students have been offered a place at one of Merton’s secondary schools which are the best in the country for progress and are all rated ‘Outstanding’ and ‘Good’ by Ofsted
Despite 274 extra applications received, nearly 85% of Merton’s children have been offered a place in one of their top three preferred schools and over 90% receiving a place at one of their six preferences.
The opening of the new Harris Wimbledon Academy will ensure that every Merton child will have a school place at the start of the academic year this September. The school will open at their temporary site on Whatley Avenue while a new school is being built in South Wimbledon and will welcome 120 new students
Cabinet Member for Education, Councillor Caroline Cooper-Marbiah said: “Merton is a great place for families so Merton schools are in high demand with record numbers applying for a place: our state secondary schools are the best in the country for the progress young people make between the ages of 11-16, as confirmed in the recent government figures and all our schools are ‘outstanding’ or ‘good’. Without the opening of the new Harris Wimbledon in September, we wouldn’t have been able to offer the additional places needed in Wimbledon, where demand is highest in the borough.”
Notes to editors
- The council received 2,313 resident admissions applications for September 2018, 274 more than last year. Total preferences for Merton schools have also gone up considerably with 255 more parents compared to last year stating a Merton state school to be their first preference.
- Harris Wimbledon school will provide 1,050 new places: 900 places for 11-16 year-olds and 250 sixth form places. In the first year they will provide 120 year 7 places and 180 places thereafter. The school will be at located in the former Adult Education building at Whatley Avenue SW20 for two years before moving to its permanent site in South Wimbledon in 2020.
- The government’s Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) is responsible for the funding and building of the new Harris Wimbledon School in South Wimbledon.
- Due to the timing of the Harris Wimbledon’s opening for September 2018, Harris has run a separate admissions process alongside the normal admissions, therefore some parents will receive duplicate offers of a school place.
- Parents are requested to notify the council of their intention to take up their offer and especially if they wish to take up an offer from an Independent School or Harris Wimbledon, as soon as possible to free up a school place for children that needs it.