Merton libraries are celebrating Black History Month throughout October this year with a variety of family events in libraries across the borough.
For those who want to indulge in Caribbean cuisine, Jay Peas in Morden will be dishing up some delights at Morden Library while others can kick back at Pollards Hill Library with BHM themed film showings.
Black History themed craft sessions are taking place across all libraries, whether you want to decorate African and carnival masks, jazz up your pumpkin and much more.
Martin Luther King’s “I have a Dream” is the theme of family learning workshops at Mitcham and Donald Hope Libraries.
Cabinet member for community and culture, Councillor Martin Whelton said “Merton is a diverse community and Black History Month celebrates the great contributions black people make to our community. A range of events for all residents will take place throughout October and we hope residents will come along and learn more, along with celebrating Black History Month.”
For more information on Black History Month events in Merton’s libraries visit http://www.merton.gov.uk/libraries or contact your local library.
Notes to editors:
· Black History Month is held every October in Britain, and February in USA and Canada. Its goals are to promote knowledge of the black history, culture and heritage, to disseminate information on positive black contributions to British society and to heighten the confidence and awareness of black people to their cultural heritage.
· Merton was home to a number of people who campaigned against slavery, including William Wilberforce MP, who lived in Lauriston House on Southside, Wimbledon for some time before becoming active in the abolition campaign. He was responsible for the passing of the Abolition of the Slave Trade bill, after many years of trying to convince Parliament.
· 5 and 12 October – BHM film showing at Pollards Hill Library 6.45-9pm
14 October – Caribbean cooking with Jay Peas at Morden Library 2.30-4pm
· 14 October – I have a dream family learning workshop – Mitcham Library 4-5pm
· 19 October – I have a dream, family learning workshop at Donald Hope 3.30-4.30pm
22 October – African mask making – Raynes Park Library 10-11am
28 October – Carnival mask making at Pollards Hill Library 10am-4pm
London Borough of Merton
020 8545 4654