The Prime Minister made a statement this week (22 September) addressing the rising cases of coronavirus in England by setting out new restrictions.
We’re waiting for the full guidance to be published by the government and will share more details, in our COVID-19 e-newsletter and on our social media channels, as soon as possible.
Keep Merton Safe:
Coronavirus cases are also steadily rising in Merton and London. We must all continue to pull together, to do our bit to protect our loved ones.
Please remember to: STAY ALERT, CONTROL THE VIRUS, SAVE LIVES.
The new national restrictions include:
- Changing guidance to ask people to work from home where they can.
- Placing new restrictions on operating hours for hospitality, leisure, entertainment and tourism businesses.
- Putting more COVID-19 secure guidance for businesses into law.
- Expanding the range of settings where these legal obligations regarding specific COVID-19 secure guidelines will apply.
- Higher fines of up to £10,000 for businesses who break Covid-19 rules and the penalty for failing to wear a mask or breaking the rule of six will double to £200 for a first offence.
- Reducing the list of exemptions to the ‘rule of six’.
- Pausing the planned 1 October changes for a return of business events and socially distanced crowds at sporting events.
- Expanding the settings in which face coverings are required.
Visit the government website for a full list of restrictions.