We are here to support you – report hate crime. This is the message Merton Council and Merton Police are giving to residents throughout this year’s National Hate Crime Awareness Week.
Merton is one of the safest London boroughs, and the council has a strong working relationship with the police and other partner agencies to promote community cohesion and encourage victims to come forward.
A series of engagement events are taking place from 13 to 20 October to raise awareness of hate crime and how to report it. Hate crime can take many forms – big and small and can include; Spitting, verbal abuse and harassment, attacks or violence, name calling, threats, intimidation and emotional violence.
Cabinet member for community safety, engagement and equalities, Councillor Edith Macauley, said: “We are delighted to be working closely with our partners Merton Police, to ensure Merton continues to be one of the safest London boroughs. Hate crime is a continual concern for our residents and has no place in our borough. I would urge anyone who thinks they have experienced or witnessed hate crime to report it to the police immediately. The hate crime engagement events are also a great opportunity to speak to the council and police about your concerns.”
Here are the events being planned in your area:
- Monday 15 October Victim Support and Safer Merton will be at Wimbledon Town Centre Piazza from 1pm to 3pm.
- Tuesday 16 October Safer Merton will be at St Helier Station in Morden opposite Green Lane shop parade from 7am to 9am.
- Tuesday 16 October Safer Merton and Merton CIL will be at South Thames College from 11.30am to 2pm.
- Wednesday 17 October Safer Merton and Merton CIL will be next to Mitcham Town Centre Clock Tower opposite Green Lane shop parade from 11am to 3pm.
- Thursday 18 October Safer Merton will be outside Morden Tube Station from 7.30am to 8.30am.
- Thursday 18 October Safer Merton and Merton CIL will be at New Horizon Centre in Pollards Hill from 11am to 3pm.
- Friday 19 October Association for the Polish Family will be at Colliers Wood Community Centre from 10am to 2pm .
- Friday 19 October Safer Merton, Merton CIL, Sutton Community Safety will be at Baitul Futuh Mosque from 12.30pm to 3pm.
For more information visit the council website.