Let’s make it a double says Merton Council Leader

?Let?s make it a double? That?s the verdict of Merton Council Leader, Councillor Andrew Judge.

Confirmation the Wimbledon Dons – once one of the top names in the speedway world – will be returning to the Wimbledon Stadium in May brought a smile to Councillor Judge?s face. ?Now all we need is Wimbledon Football Club back at Plough Lane and we will have completed a full circle.?

By a strange quirk of fate the Wimbledon Dons left Merton for Eastbourne in 1991, within a week of Sam Hammam, Wimbledon?s then owner, taking his football club to Selhurst Park.

The Dons had been an international name in the speedway world and began racing at Wimbledon in 1928 but after moving to the coast and being called the Eastbourne Dons they soon lost their old identity completely and became the Eagles.

Now they are coming back to Wimbledon, London?s only speedway track and will revive their historic Dons name.

The Dons first meeting back at Wimbledon will on 2nd May when former world champion, New Zealander Ronnie Moore will guest of honour. Future meetings will be held Thursday weekly.

Later in the year the Dons promoters are will be staging a series of international tests between England, Wales and Scotland at the Wimbledon track.

Councillor Judge said: ?It is great news that the Dons are returning with such a flourish. It really confirms Merton as one of London?s top sporting Boroughs. All we need now is our football club back.?